About Ryan Peel
– First Aid Level 3 – First On Scene – July 2018
– Professional MTB Instructor Level 1 – PMBIA Canada
– River Rafting Guide – Trip Leader – White Water Training
– Abseil Supervisor – Outside Adventures/Drum Beat Academy
– Basic Mountain Walking Guide <2400m asl – The School for Mountain Leadership
– Wall Climbing and Single Pitch Rock Climbing Supervisor – The School for Mountain Leadership
– Registered South African Tourist Guide
– Professional Drivers Permit (PDP)
In 2007 I started working as a physical education and sports coach for remedial schools in the Randburg and Fourways areas. For years I thoroughly enjoyed teaching the fast paced and competitive team sports on the fields. But I knew that it wasn’t for everyone and saw that many of my students needed something different. Something more individual.
In 2010 I was introduced to the adventure guiding industry and learnt how to become a river guide over the weekends in Magaliesberg. Soon I was challenging myself to be more than just a regular guide. Over the next 6 years I built up my experience, knowledge and skills and became a lead guide in rafting, abseiling, kloofing and hiking for individuals, families and corporate groups.
I took this new found passion and skills and implemented them into my personal life – I wanted to see how far I could push my own personal abilities and boundaries. The adventures took me to some incredible places and put me in some interesting situations – from kayaking the waterfalls of Swaziland, hiking the endless rolling hills of Lesotho, adventure racing on the mighty Tugela River and rock climbing up the steep crumbly cliffs of the Drakensberg. To only mention a few!
These adventures had a profound effect on my character – My ability to deal with adverse conditions became stronger. My decision making skills under pressure became sharper. My leadership skills became wiser and I started to understand what it really meant to be responsible for myself and others.
My dream is to take these character building activities, package them up and share them in a way that I can teach children how to learn from their own experiences. I believe that through these adventure sports I can help them build their character and grow into a well rounded, reliable and responsible individual. And hopefully one day, a leader to others.
The enjoyment and challenges that adventure sports had on me, changed my life. I know it can change the lives of others in many powerful positive ways.
In 2016 my wife and I became parents to a brave little girl. It has since made me realise that my drive to help children experience adventure is far greater than I ever imagined!
In 2018, 1 on 1 Adventures was born.
Adventure Guide since 2010
– Rafting, Abseiling, Kloofing and Mountain Walking Guide for companies – Outside Adventures, Marks Mobile Adventures, Go Vertical, Pelinduna Adventures, White Water Training, The School for Mountain Leadership and Liquid Adventures.
Sports Coach since 2007
– Physical Education and Sports coach at various remedial schools around Johannesburg
Karate Instructor since 2004
– Teaching at various home and remedial schools around Johannesburg
– 4th Degree/Dan Black Belt
– Training in the art of Goju-Ryu Karate-Do since 1992
*Certificates available on request